Sorry about the old documentation. I just updated the shortest paths example. Before major changes to the graph distribution, the vertex ids were required to be sorted. That is no longer the case. You can input vertices in any order. The only restriction is that the vertex ids must be unique (no duplicate vertices). If there are duplicates an exception will be thrown since duplicates are probably not expected and this is probably an error. This could be relaxed in the future as well if need be, but we would need to decide on how to handle duplicates.

Thanks for all the great questions!