Ok, I've created an issue: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GIRAPH-155
Feel free to edit if you think the description is not clear.

By the way, I have also created a vertex reader that reads adjacency lists
but with no values for vertices and edges. That's also a format that I've
seen in several graph data sets. The vertex reader is essentially a copy of
the AdjacencyListVertexReader modified to handle this format. It's
basically an abstract class and subclasses can override methods to provide
default values for vertices and edges (otherwise values are initialized to
null), just like Avery described below. If you think it's useful I can
contribute this.