2012/3/22 Benjamin Heitmann <benjamin.heitm...@deri.org>:
Hi Benjamin!

> This was the deciding issue. My jar file contained the dependencies as jar
> files in the lib dir inside of the job jar.
> While (almost) all Google search results for assembling a hadoop job as a jar
> suggest that this is the right way to do it,
> it seems that Giraph or a dependency introduces some changes to the process
> in which the job jar is loaded.
> After checking out the giraph-*-jar-with-dependencies.jar (with jar -tf), I
> saw that all dependency jars are unpacked in there.
> I copied and modified the relevant invocation of the maven assembly plugin to
> my project pom.xml and built that jar (with mvn clean assembly:assembly).

Side remark: Please don't use mvn assembly:assembly anymore, all
goals, except mvn assembly:single are deprecated since a few releases
of the asssembly plugin [0]. I am using the assembly descriptor
explained in [1] to build my jobs and I trigger it automatically
during the package phase like shown in [2]. (We only do it in a
release profile, so that we don't pollute our internal maven repo with
huge assembly SNAPSHOT jars)

[0] https://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-assembly-plugin/usage.html
[2] http://pastebin.com/2cg72V6V