Anyone who has actually passed the bar can correct me but I am told that
cases on "deliberate infliction of emotional distress" are no longer
received well by the judiciary, along with those "breach of promise for
broken engagements" we read about in 19th century novels.  Of course, if
they have been replaced by people suing McDonalds for making them fat then
the literary world has not come out ahead...

I just emailed a professor asking if she could assign some reading on the
standard of review in legal cases since we had not covered it in class, and
she wrote back saying she spent two entire classes on it, and where was I?
Blushing madly, I am hoping those were the classes I missed while traveling
for work, and not that I was dozing through class (which does meet from
8-9:40 pm so we are often tired).

I have not reread Ready Made Family recently but because my mother and I
read the four school stories and then Runaway Home first, we were extremely
curious about Karen's marriage and expected more in the way of revelation as
to Edwin's appeal.  I do know a couple people who fell for their instructors
or professors when they were older but at 18 the crush was much more likely
to be on what in the US is called a teaching assistant, a graduate assistant
much closer in age.  Even afterwards when Nicola learns to appreciate Edwin,
it is hard to imagine Karen's initial attraction to him or his to her.

Constance, now returning to a paper on Women's Battered Syndrome

>>I wonder if any US  lawyer GOers could advise me if I have a case to sue
>>Nicky and Shirley for literary cruelty?

Quote of the Day:
After 86 years of unhappy endings, the Fenway faithful finally got to read a
fairy tale last week. "The question I have for the fans who experienced 1946
and 1967 and the other years is this: Was it all worth it?" asked Rico
Petrocelli. "Would you have gone through all of that just for this moment?"
October 31, 2004