I don't know about Bertha Leonard, but Evadne Price wrote a long
series of 'Jane' books about an anarchic young girl, sometime
regarded as a sort of female equivalent of Just William.

I haven't read them, but some of them were reprinted fairly
recently; and Cadogan and Craig discuss them in "You're a Brick,
Angela".

Ann