----- Original Message -----
From: "Dorian E. Gray" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Of course, I don't think having the disease without noticing was a common
> thing, but people *did* recover from it even before medication (as they
> recovered from assorted other diseases).

I think large numbers of people (most of the population in the Victorian
period, according to some sources I've read),  actually carried the TB germ,
but not so many actually developed the disease, and after the source of the
infection was discovered, and the fact of its widespread harbouring among
the population was realised, many doctors spent a long time trying to work
out why some people went on to develop the disease and not others.  This was
partly what led to the development of all those fresh air-regular
hours-plenty of milk regimes.

Sally