In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, girlsown-
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes
>I hate the Tennis Shoes parents so much that I can't even think of
>rereading the book

But I think Streatfeild wants us to loathe them, and to show Nicky as
unappreciated by her fundamentally mediocre family, though at other
times she wants us to Respect their Authority in case without it
Nicolette becomes a kind of McEnroe.  In that sense it's rather artfully
managed.  The parents in The Painted Garden are unfair  to Jane in the
same ways.  I like NS for this; most authors aren't game enough to say
that parents are unfair.
--
Diane Purkiss