I will add to those who have already mentioned  the end of The Railway
Children and The Incredible Journey, I have tears in my  eyes at the thought of
A terrible, terrible book for making me cry is  The Velveteen Rabbit,
shockingly sad.

I expect most of GO will laugh at  me for this (but I don't mind because it
will cheer you all up)
the Part Of A  Film Guaranteed To Make Susan Cry is the bit in the Sound Of
Music when Captain  Von Trapp is singing Eidelweiss at the Music festival and
he is overwhelmed by  the emotion of the occasion and Julie Andrews sorry Maria
has to come over to  help him sing.
And don't say that The Sound Of Music is off topic, it is  clearly based on
CS in Exile.

Susan (off to look for a biscuit to cheer  myself up!)