> 'Students are particularly vulnerable. Many 18 to 22-year-olds were not
> properly immunised as children because they were too young for the triple
> vaccine against measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) and did not properly take the
> double dose of the individual vaccines.
>
> During the early 1990s as a result of the introduction of the MMR vaccine,
> cases of mumps dropped rapidly. But this also means that today's 18 to
> 22-year-olds have not had the chance to build up a natural immunity.'

So when did vaccination against these illnesses start? I am 27 and was only
ever vaccined against Polio, Diphteria, Tetanos and TB. I had regular jabs
for all these as a kid (at birth and then every 5 then 10 years) but like
most kids when I was at nursery and then primary school, I caught mumps,
measles and something we call varicelle (itchy spots all over) as well as
rubella at various stages. I remember all the kids in the house (my brother
and I and the 2 girls who lived upstairs and played with us) all having
measles one after the other when I was about 8. So when did these illnesses
which were just something you went through as a kid become something to be
eradicated? I have no idea what the policy is about vaccines against these
in France nowadays but I presume it is the same as in England.

Adeline