----- Original Message -----
From: "Kate Lambert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>Illness, Accidents and Death in the works of E L Haverfield

>E L Haverfield's school stories were published between 1898 and 1933 [1]
>and her books, featuring a plethora of fatherless children,
>self-sacrificing saints, caring amateur nurses and desperate courage in
>the face of severe pain, more details below, illustrate a move away from
>Victorian maudlin sentimentality towards a more robust attitude to the
>schoolgirl of the 1920s and 1930s.

I really enjoyed this, Kate.  When I was doing the background research, it
certainly occurred to me that writers writing later in the twentieth century
were less likely to use illness as a plot device than earlier writers, but
this is a good illustration of it in the work of one author.  It will be
interesting to see when we come on to other authors who wrote over a long
period (DFB, EJO - not sure if we are having anything about EBD?) whether
they show the same development or not.  Perhaps Haverfield's writing career
started that bit earlier than theirs and so had *more* of the Victorian
maudlin sentimentality to begin with, and therefore required more of a
change of style as time went on in order not to seem hopelessly old