Quoting Valerie Wood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> On 9 Nov 2004 at 11:16, nicky smith wrote:
> Trease seemed to have gradually moved to the right until the
> Bannermere books
> seem very conventional to me.
> I'm curious - I've only read the first 3 Bannermere books by him -
> did he come across as leftish earlier on?
> I very rarely know anything about the politics of *fiction* authors I
> read, I find it nice when I have to spend so much time thinking about
> historiographical schools and so on to just judge a book and its
> message on what I read in the novel.  But if anyone had asked me,
> based on my reading, I wouldn't have considered Trease on the left -
> as I infer you were suggesting, Nicky?
His early books , Bows Against the Barons  and Comrades for the Charter were a
deliberate reaction to the usual pro-Cavalier, anti-revolting peasants stuff
found in children's histfic of the time. Bows Against the Barons has a chapter
called 'Hammer and Sickle' (though re-issues are much-bowldlerized). He
definitely though of himself as a lefty trying to change the face of children's
lit.  But clearly his views changed. I like the Maythorn and Bannermere books
but comparing them is odd. Mike, from a nice working class family is first
accused of shoplifting, then is bullied because he is thought to have snitched
on some vandals from his school. The middle-class Bannermere children catch
shoplifters; they don't get accused of being thieves. And of course nobody from
a grammar school would vandalise a train. Nor is there any bullying at the
grammar school (and when Bill applies for Oxford he stresses that he is wrong
in his belief that there was any prejudice against grammar school applicants
even though he is definitely given a tough time in the interview because he is
the first boy from his school to apply for that college)