In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Sally Dore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes

Perhaps Haverfield's writing career
started that bit earlier than theirs and so had *more* of the Victorian
maudlin sentimentality to begin with, and therefore required more of a
change of style as time went on in order not to seem hopelessly old
fashioned.

I'd agree with that. It would be interesting to compare her with Angela Brazil, if I knew enough about Brazil. According to The Book, Brazil is 2 years older than Haverfield but I'd always assumed from the style of their writing that she was younger and writing later. Haverfield's first book was published in 1898 and Brazil's in 1904. Was that six-year gap enough to make the difference or did they just happen to have different styles anyway?
--
Kate Lambert