Seena said...
> At both high school and primary school we called our teachers Sir and Mam.
> This seems to happen in the state schools, at least in the ones that were
> historically not for white people, and in the private schools they were
> Miss or Mrs whatever.

In my State secondary school, we either called our teachers by their names:
Mr. Burke, Mrs. Colville, Miss Harrington, Sister Joan (it was an ex-convent
and a couple of nuns hung on); or we addressed them impartially as "Sir" or
"Miss".  Sir and Miss were more common when we were speaking *to* them;
names were more often used when speaking *about* them.

Dorian (in Ireland).