In a message dated 10/11/2004 16:59:21 GMT Standard Time, Tig writes:

>You're quite right, both of you.  That was definitely a point  too far.  In
fact books of this period are littered with people  starting genteel tea
shops from M E Atkinson, to Agatha  Christie.<

There's a memory nagging at me which perhaps someone could  identify?  A book
(Christie?) where an elderly lady is a murderess,  possibly a multiple
murderess, so that she can get the funds to set up a  teashop.  At the end,
comments how creepy (my word) it is to have a  'ladylike murderer'.