In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Barbara Dryden <>
> >And also a representation - as you very rightly suggest - of maternal
> >selflessness - Mum works herself to death?  So inducing pangs of reader-
> >guilt.
>
> Yes. I'd be glad if people could supply some examples here. I'm afraid my
> memory sometimes supplies a quote but not the book it's in.

Enid Blyton is a bit given to that sort of thing. The mother's accident
in "Those Dreadful Children" is used to guilt-trip the naughty children
into reforming. Also the father's accident in "House at the Corner",
and of course Gwen's father's illness in "Last Term at Malory
Towers".

Ann