I haven't read Wintle's Wonders since I first read it as a child. I love Noel Streatfeild but even when I'm have an NS binge I get to Wintle's Wonders and think oh no, that's the one with the awful bit about the birthday chair. I have almost no recollection of the story but there must have been something that upset me when I was young. I had the same sort of reaction to Autumn Term for years until all the discussion on Girls Own about AF got me to give her another try. I think it's odd that I can almost totally forget a story and yet still remember that I found it distressing in some way.