One of the things I find interesting about Wintle's Wonders (which is
one of my top 5 Streatfeild favourites) is the parallels between Rachel
and Sorel in Curtain Up, both retiring good girls who become obsessive
about ensuring the future of a sibling, and both turning out to be
really fine actresses.

Angela Bull says she doubts if either has enough "killer instinct" to
make it as an actress, but I feel that by giving them this obsessive
streak she is indicating that they will have the strength to go for what
they need when the time comes. I wonder if NS saw this as characteristic
of a particular fine actress she encountered.

And on the subject of repulsive Dulcies, did anyone mention the one in
Good-bye Gemma?

Ellen Jordan
University of Newcastle
Australia