On 13 Nov 2004 at 10:23, Diane Purkiss wrote:
> In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, girlsown-
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes
> >No, its the last resort, Diane. For use very sparingly, and only
when
> > admin requests have been not taken seriously.
>
> I know how aggravating that must be, Helen, and of course I trust
you.
> But although I don't want to be the Nita Tomlinson of GO or act as
if
> I'm in That Term At St Faith's, but I really dislike this whole
idea,
> and still feel at liberty to say so.

Of course everyone will be allowed to express their opinions exactly
as before, Diane.

<snip>
> I would also argue strenuously for the permeability of the 'topic'
we
> discuss.  At bottom, it's books, and talking about books can lead
> almost anywhere - to cooking or religion or showjumping or very
> personal histories - and all those thigns can eb relevant to books
and
> illuminating about them.  I fear - and it may be irrational - that
> this admin rule may lead to self-censorship; people may so dislike
the
> spank that they don't dare bring up politics or history or
religion.

These will still be allowed, nay, enjoyed by all.  I cannot see the
situation where this option will be used routinely - if it ever does,
the list at large has my acceptance of them kicking me out of GO for
ever.

> And I for one love the way we can discuss hairwashing one week and
> Bush the next, with an in-depth reading of Trease's politics
> sandwiched between.
> I think all I'm really saying is that I love GO as it is.  And I
don't
> want it to change.
> There.  I've said my say.  And that's what it's all about.

I will say it again -

       Girlsown
                    Is
                       Not