I agree with someone (Kate?) who commented recently that translators are
only noticed when the translation seems awkward and ignored when their work
is good.  Despite this, I also noticed how prolific Anthea Bell is as a
translator (fiction, non-fiction, juvenile).  I seem to recall she wrote at
least one quite good regency/historical novel in her own right but I have
never come across it again.  Did anyone read this?

I keep thinking there are several other books besides the ones mentioned
where the families start serving teas but maybe I am getting confused with
the ones where the families start running B&Bs or small inns (Six on Easy
Street/Cavanna, The Pink Motel/Brink) or even one lodger (A Room for
Cathy/Wooley).  I do love No Boats on Bannermere, as I love all Trease,
although I agree Bill is very condescending towards Penny and Sue.   Having
very much enjoyed The Honour of the School, I recently read the Cinderella
Girl by E.M. Channon, which has a sort of cooking theme.  Upon leaving
boarding school, this poor (literally) heroine went off to a sort of one
year catering college, got a job as a cook at a posh boarding school which
fell through before she could start, so had to settle for being a cook to
two older ladies where there was barely enough food to eat and no one to
talk to at all.   Her year with these two ladies was very depressing, and to
attend the annual college catering reunion weekend her employer gleefully
made her give up her days off for a month.  It was a wretched existence
(although a happy ending did eventually take place).  The one thing that
seemed to keep Stacy going was her dear and rich friend from school, Agatha,
who invited her to stay periodically.

Have I read too many books where girls marry men twice their age?  At the
beginning, I was sure Stacy would eventually marry Agatha's handsome father,
Sir Humphrey Phayre, and thus be rescued from her woeful life.  When I
realized he had financial troubles, that was clearly not going to happen,
and then the man committed suicide, spoiling his eligibility to be Prince
Charming to Stacy's Cinderella.  It was very thoughtless of him...

Has anyone read Chasing Vermeer?  It got such hype but I thought it was sort
of a feeble cross between the DaVinci Code and (my favorite) The Mixed Up
Files of Mrs. Basil E Frankweiler.   Still worth reading but perhaps (as I
did) only from the library.

Constance, now back to work on a paper about Battered Women's Syndrome

ps - ANTH-ea or An-THEA?   I always assumed the former because of Nesbit's
heroine being called Panther but even that did not make much sense to me as
a child.

Quote of the Day:
Liberals:  people who don't approve of something: so they don't do it.
Conservatives: people who don't approve of something: so they don't want
anyone to do it.