I've just finished watching UK terrestrial TV's premiere of 'Bridget Jones'
Diary' and noted the links between it and 'Pride & Prejudice' (didn't spot
the plot links on my first viewing at the cinema - doh!!). Anyway, given BJD
has a sequel  ('Edge of Reason'), although P & P doesn't, I wondered  when
book sequels & series first became common? I know the Bible & Shakespeare
have several, but I meant in modern (20th century) fiction - especially
children's stuff. Series feature largely in GO fiction - was there anything
much before Alcott / Montgomery / Oxenham series & Brazil's pairs?