----- Original Message -----
From: "kirkhead" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, November 14, 2004 12:19 AM
Subject: [GO] sequels/series

> I've just finished watching UK terrestrial TV's premiere of 'Bridget
Jones'
> Diary' and noted the links between it and 'Pride & Prejudice' (didn't
spot
> the plot links on my first viewing at the cinema - doh!!). Anyway,
given BJD
> has a sequel  ('Edge of Reason'), although P & P doesn't, I wondered
when
> book sequels & series first became common? I know the Bible &
Shakespeare
> have several, but I meant in modern (20th century) fiction -
especially
> children's stuff. Series feature largely in GO fiction - was there
anything
> much before Alcott / Montgomery / Oxenham series & Brazil's pairs?
>
> Pam

The Fairchild Family was published in c1820 and part two appeared 20
years later (presumably by popular demand because kids just can't get
enough of evangelising over rotting corpses). Non-GO there's Robinson
Crusoe which has a largely forgotten sequel where he goes to Russia. Or
CM Yonge - she must be the queen of the nineteenth century sequel.

Nicky