Pam writes:

I wondered  when book sequels & series first became common? . . .Series
feature largely in GO fiction - was there anything much before Alcott /
Montgomery / Oxenham series & Brazil's pairs?

The earliest I can think of at the moment are The Fairy Bower and The
Lost Brooch by Harriett Mozley, both published in 1841. Charlotte Yonge
saw them as the inspiration for the whole genre of books for girls.

Charlotte Yonge herself was a great one, if not exactly for series, at
least for linked novels. The first in her group was Scenes and
Characters published in 1847, but over the years she kept introducing
characters from one book into another until by the time she wrote Modern
Broods in 1900 the characters from a large number of her major novels
had become related to one another by marriage.

On the other hand I can only think of three examples of specific
sequels, and the only set that could really be called a series were her
Langley School stories, first begun in the 1840s, abandoned for many
years, and then resurrected in the 1880s and featuring a new generation
of the same families in the same village.

Ellen Jordan
University of Newcastle