----- Original Message -----
From: "Ellen Jordan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, November 14, 2004 10:21 AM
Subject: Re: [GO] sequels/series

> > I have just pulled from the shelf two tiny little books with
> marbled-paper covers that I'd almost forgotten I had. One is called
> "Frank/In Four Parts/PartIII/ Eighth of the Series of Early Lessons by
> Maria Edgworth" and is dated 1803. The other is Frank Part IV. I'm not
> sure if her Harry and Lucy stories (mentioned I think in Little Men)
> began as a series, but according to Copac they were issued as
> Education in 1780, and the Copac lists suggest she went on writing
> others to follow.
> I'm not so sure about Sandford and Merton being a series, though.
> lists a number of copies in libraries with the date 1783, and then a
> 1790 "fifth edition, corrected". There was also an abridged edition
> "embellished with elegant plates" published in 1790, but no suggestion
> of anything that could be seen as a sequel.

According to the DNB it "was published in three volumes (1783, 1786, and
1789), it tells how rebellious Tommy Merton, the spoilt son of a wealthy
plantation owner from Jamaica, and his friend Harry Sandford, the poor
but worthy son of a local farmer, are patiently educated by the Revd Mr
Barlow-and how Master Tommy is brought, by precept and self-discovery,
to see the error of his ways."

I don't know enough about 18th century publishing to know whether each
volume is complete in itself - I would assume so.but don't know for
sure.  Has anyone read the book ? It was still being read at the end of
the 19th century (I think there's a joke in Three Men in a Boat about a
very good boy being nicknamed Sandford and Merton). Probably a lot of
early novels that we think of as complete were actually published in
more than one part (see Little Women/Good Wives which are thought of as
all one book in the US though they were definitely published as two)

I remembered Edgeworth but I'm not sure if that is the same thing.
Aren't the individual Harry and Lucy stories all self-contained short
stories (I like some of her children's stories enormously especially The
Little Merchants, set in Italy and the Frank and Rosamund stories.
Alcott was a big fan - Lazy Laurence, used as a chapter heading in Good
Wives, comes from Edgeworth). Interestingly the DNB article on her
hardly  mentions her children's stories at all. I would have thought
that insofar as she is remembered now, it is because she is discussed in
histories of children's literature, rather than for her adult fiction
which may be influential but probably isn't read except by those doing
university courses on The Early Novel. Perhaps she needs an Andrew
Davies adaptation to get her on the map again. You can find some of her
stories at http://www.gutenberg.net/etext/3655 including The Barring Out
which is a famous early boarding school story. Sadly though I can't find
The Purple Jar which is probably her most famous story.