To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, November 14, 2004 8:10 AM
Subject: Re: [GO] sequels/series

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ellen Jordan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Sent: Sunday, November 14, 2004 7:40 AM Subject: Re: [GO] sequels/series

Pam writes:

I wondered when book sequels & series first became common? . .
.Series
feature largely in GO fiction - was there anything much before Alcott
/
Montgomery / Oxenham series & Brazil's pairs?

Ellen suggested

The earliest I can think of at the moment are The Fairy Bower and The
Lost Brooch by Harriett Mozley, both published in 1841. Charlotte
Yonge
saw them as the inspiration for the whole genre of books for girls.

I've not read Sandford and Merton but the publication dates are 1783-1789 so I assume it was published in several volumes. I don't think we are ever going to come up with an official 'earliest sequel' ! There's also Through the Looking Glass which hasn't been mentioned. There's also Leila books of the 1840s (the first is 1839, the second 1842 - I've been looking through Gillian Avery !). But I think American children's writers have always been more series conscious - as well as Alcott, there's Katy and Elsie. And there has never been a British equivalent to the Stratmeyer (sp) syndicate books - the nearest is some of the story papers which would draft in subsitute authors when the main one was on holiday. I don't own the Phantom Friends guide to series but IIRC that includes quite a few nineteenth century books.

Nicky