"Mark Mielke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I don't see why {,m} would ever be {1,m}. "Any length up to m" includes
> zero in my books.

I just said it was not _totally_ obvious.  I actually agree that 0 is
a more sensible default, iff we need to have a default.  But I don't
think the cost of being explicit is to much to bear in this case.

The killer argument to me is that {,m} is not a syntax error in
current perl.  It is just an expression that match the literal string
"{,m}".  The proposed patch is not backwards compatible.  For
instance, this code will break:

  $ perl -le "print 'ok' if 'a{,2}' =~ /^a{,2}$/"

I don't think it is worth it.