Author: Paul Jackson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
AuthorDate: Fri Dec 22 01:06:10 2006 -0800
Committer: Linus Torvalds <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
CommitDate: Fri Dec 22 08:55:46 2006 -0800
[PATCH] CONFIG_VM_EVENT_COUNTER comment decrustify
The VM event counters, enabled by CONFIG_VM_EVENT_COUNTERS, which provides
VM event counters in /proc/vmstat, has become more essential to
non-EMBEDDED kernel configurations than they were in the past. Comments in
the code and the Kconfig configuration explanation were stale, downplaying
their role excessively.
Refresh those comments to correctly reflect the current role of VM event
Signed-off-by: Paul Jackson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Acked-by: Christoph Lameter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
include/linux/vmstat.h | 5 +++--
init/Kconfig | 8 ++++----
2 files changed, 7 insertions(+), 6 deletions(-)
diff --git a/include/linux/vmstat.h b/include/linux/vmstat.h
index c89df55..5323600 100644
@@ -10,8 +10,9 @@
* Light weight per cpu counter implementation.
- * Counters should only be incremented and no critical kernel component
- * should rely on the counter values.
+ * Counters should only be incremented. You need to set EMBEDDED
+ * to disable VM_EVENT_COUNTERS. Things like procps (vmstat,
+ * top, etc) use /proc/vmstat and depend on these counters.
* Counters are handled completely inline. On many platforms the code
* generated will simply be the increment of a global address.
diff --git a/init/Kconfig b/init/Kconfig
index f000edb..9b1adb1 100644
@@ -461,10 +461,10 @@ config VM_EVENT_COUNTERS
bool "Enable VM event counters for /proc/vmstat" if EMBEDDED
- VM event counters are only needed to for event counts to be
- shown. They have no function for the kernel itself. This
- option allows the disabling of the VM event counters.
- /proc/vmstat will only show page counts.
+ VM event counters are needed for event counts to be shown.
+ This option allows the disabling of the VM event counters
+ on EMBEDDED systems. /proc/vmstat will only show page counts
+ if VM event counters are disabled.
endmenu # General setup
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe git-commits-head" in
the body of a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html