I'm new to git, and am looking for advice on the best way to create a
moderately complicated setup with the following constraints:
* The main public repository for this software is subversion, and is
not under my control
* I need to fetch updates from the subversion repository to my
development host (running gentoo) regularly, but cannot write to it
(my updates are pushed back through manually created patches)
* I need to create two branches for my local code, both of which need
to be regularly merged with the updates from subversion
* I need to be able to export both branches local code to a staging
server, which is running centos (the OS is relevant as I expect to
have to make minor tweaks to the code to get it running with different
library versions etc)
* The production server is running RHE, and no development work should
take place on it. It will only run one of the two branches.
* I am working on my own at the moment but there are likely to be
other developers involved soon
Having got a bit lost with the wealth of detail in the git and git-svn
documentation, I thought it might be easier to ask for advice!
Thanks in advance
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Git
for human beings" group.
To post to this group, send email to git-us...@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
For more options, visit this group at