Lets extrapolate on this and make it a bit more complicated.
1. I have a central repo containing branch1 and branch2
2. branch1 and 2 have 3 files - file1, file2 and file3
3. This repo is cloned by userA, userB, userC- each user owning file1,
file2 and file3 respectively
4. Assume the three files have conflicting changes in branch1 and
branch2 in central repo
5. Now an integration build engineer BuildUser clones the central
6. He creates a new branch branchBuild where he merges the branch1 -
7. Then he merges in branch2 - gets conflicts in file1, file2 and
file3. This branch is pushed across to remote central repo.
8. Now these conflicts need to be resolved by userA, userB and userC.
9. Should users - userA, userB and userC, all clone from the repo,
check out branchBuild and merge in the same branch1 followed by
branch2 to see the same conflicts?
Is there any alternative to step9?
It seems a bit of overkill to get three users (userA, userB and userC)
to replicate the same set of steps taken by an integration build
engineer only to solve conflicts.
Is there any other alternative way without requiring these users to
merge the branches just to see the conflicts?
On Aug 22, 9:37 pm, Konstantin Khomoutov
> On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 04:18:58 -0700 (PDT)
> Sandeep Mahajan <sandeep.d.maha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > 1. Assume I have a central repo containing branches branchA.
> > 2. This repo is cloned by user A and userB.
> > 3. userA creates a new branchB where he merges in branchA.
> > 4. There is a conflict reported, and only userB has the skills to
> > resolve the conflict.
> > Question: How can userB view the same conflicts, and get them resolved
> > in branchA?
> UserA pushes its BranchB to the server, UserB fetches it and then
> attempts to merge whatever UserA tried to merge into BranchB.
> After that, BranchB can be deleted from the server.
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Git
for human beings" group.
To post to this group, send email to email@example.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
For more options, visit this group at