Marc Branchaud <> writes:

> On 12-07-11 02:21 PM, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>> writes:
>>> From: Marc Branchaud <>
>>> The code now has a default_remote_name and an effective_remote_name:
>>>  - default_remote_name is set by remote.default in the config, or is 
>>> "origin"
>>>    if remote.default doesn't exist ("origin" was the fallback value before
>>>    this change).
>>>  - effective_remote_name is the name of the remote tracked by the current
>>>    branch, or is default_remote_name if the current branch doesn't have a
>>>    remote.
>>> This has a minor side effect on the default behavior of "git push"....
>> Hrm, is this a _minor_ side effect?
> Well, I thought so...  :)
> It's minor because of what you say:
>> Isn't that a natural and direct consequence of "now you can set
>> remote.default configuration to name the remote you want to use in
>> place of traditional 'origin'" feature?  I think changing the
>> behaviour of "git push" in such a way is the point (may not be the
>> only but one of the important points) of this series.
> I agree.  Phil Hord pointed out the change in behaviour and felt the commit
> message should explain it.
> Should I just remove "minor"?

Is it even a _side effect_?  Isn't this one of the primary points of
the series?  I do not think this patch makes sense if we did not
want that change to happen.

Or am I missing something?

>>> diff --git a/Documentation/git-push.txt b/Documentation/git-push.txt
>>> index cb97cc1..fc17d39 100644
>>> --- a/Documentation/git-push.txt
>>> +++ b/Documentation/git-push.txt
>>> @@ -27,10 +27,16 @@ documentation for linkgit:git-receive-pack[1].
>>>  ------------------
>>>  <repository>::
>>> -   The "remote" repository that is destination of a push
>>> +   The "remote" repository that is the destination of the push
>>>     operation.  This parameter can be either a URL
>>>     (see the section <<URLS,GIT URLS>> below) or the name
>>>     of a remote (see the section <<REMOTES,REMOTES>> below).
>>> +   If this parameter is omitted, git tries to use the remote
>>> +   associated with the currently checked-out branch.  If there
>>> +   is no remote associated with the current branch, git uses
>>> +   the remote named by the "remote.default" configuration variable.
>>> +   If "remote.default" is not set, git uses the name "origin" even
>>> +   if there is no actual remote named "origin".
>> This comment applies to other changes to the documentation in this
>> patch I didn't quote, but I think the phrasing 'even if there is no
>> acutual remote named "origin"' needs to be rethought, because "we
>> use it even if there is no such remote determined with this logic"
>> applies equally to branch.$name.remote, remote.default or built-in
>> default value of remote.default which happens to be "origin".
> I'm sorry, but I'm having trouble understanding what you mean.  I don't see
> how the "because ..." part of your sentence suggests what aspect needs
> rephrasing.

You say the remote is taken from three places (branch.$name.remote,
remote.default, or 'origin').

Imagine there is remote.origin.url at all.  If remote.default is set
to 'origin', or branch.$name.remote for the current branch is set to
'origin', the repository you will try to use is 'origin'.  And you
will fail the same way if you try to push there.  It does not matter
if the hardcoded default gave you 'origin' or configuration variable
gave it to you.  The name is used regardless, even if there is no
actual remote under such name.

So "If 'remote.default' is not set, git uses the name "origin" even
if there is no actual remote", while is not untrue, is misleading.
Even if there is no actual remote 'origin', if 'remote.default' is
set to 'origin', git will use that name, and will fail the same way.

Just saying "If 'remote.default' is not set, git uses 'origin'" or
even "'remote.default', if unset, defaults to 'origin'" would be
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe git" in
the body of a message to
More majordomo info at

Reply via email to