On Tue, 2016-08-30 at 09:54 -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Support for more generic footers was supposed to come when the
> "interpret-trailers" topic started, but the author of the topic
> seems to have lost interest before the mechanism has become ready to
> be integrated in the workflow commands like "am", "commit", "rebase"
> etc., which is unfortunate.
I think adding at least an option to git send-email
allowing auto-cc's for all
"<foo>-by: [name] <address>"
lines in the commit log would be useful.
Today, only "Signed-off-by" and "CC" lines are
added to cc's.
I've always called these lines "<foo>-by:" lines
"signatures", but perhaps there's a better name.
from git send-email --help
Specify an additional category of recipients to suppress the
· author will avoid including the patch author
· self will avoid including the sender
· cc will avoid including anyone mentioned in Cc lines in the
patch header except for self (use self for that).
· bodycc will avoid including anyone mentioned in Cc lines in the
patch body (commit message) except for self (use self for
· sob will avoid including anyone mentioned in Signed-off-by
lines except for self (use self for that).
· cccmd will avoid running the --cc-cmd.
· body is equivalent to sob + bodycc
· all will suppress all auto cc values.
> > sequencer.c:append_signoff() has a flag for APPEND_SIGNOFF_DEDUP
> Yes, I think this is one of the warts we talked about getting rid of
> but haven't got around to it. It is there because "format-patch -s"
> was incorrectly written to dedup Signed-off-by: from anywhere in its
> early implementation and to keep the same behaviour. We should drop
> that flag from append_signoff() function.