These are kept short by simply deferring to PEP-8. Most of the Python
code in Git is already very close to this style (some things in contrib/
Rationale for version suggestions:
- Amongst the noise in , there isn't any disagreement about using
2.6 as a base (see also ), although Brandon Casey recently added
support for 2.4 and 2.5 to git-p4 .
- Restricting ourselves to 2.6+ makes aiming for Python 3 compatibility
significantly easier .
- Advocating Python 3 support in all scripts is currently unrealistic
- 'p4 -G' provides output in a format that is very hard to use with
Python 3 (and its documentation claims Python 3 is unsupported).
- Mercurial does not support Python 3.
- Bazaar does not support Python 3.
- But we should try to make new scripts compatible with Python 3
because all new Python development is happening on version 3 and the
Python community will eventually stop supporting Python 2 .
- Python 3.1 is required to support the 'surrogateescape' error handler
for encoding/decodng filenames to/from Unicode strings and Python 3.0
is not longer supported.
Changes since v2:
- Tone down discussion of the byte string prefix.
- Change "is supported since" to "has been supported since".
Documentation/CodingGuidelines | 14 ++++++++++++++
1 file changed, 14 insertions(+)
diff --git a/Documentation/CodingGuidelines b/Documentation/CodingGuidelines
index 69f7e9b..432c6cd 100644
@@ -179,6 +179,20 @@ For C programs:
- Use Git's gettext wrappers to make the user interface
translatable. See "Marking strings for translation" in po/README.
+For Python scripts:
+ - We follow PEP-8 (http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0008/).
+ - As a minimum, we aim to be compatible with Python 2.6 and 2.7.
+ - Where required libraries do not restrict us to Python 2, we try to
+ also be compatible with Python 3.1 and later.
+ - When you must differentiate between Unicode literals and byte string
+ literals, it is OK to use the 'b' prefix. Even though the Python
+ documentation for version 2.6 does not mention this prefix, it has
+ been supported since version 2.6.0.
Every user-visible change should be reflected in the documentation.
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe git" in
the body of a message to majord...@vger.kernel.org
More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html