On Mon, Jun 03, 2013 at 11:47:23PM +0200, Jens Lehmann wrote:
> Am 31.05.2013 21:40, schrieb John Keeping:
> > The current version does make '$sm_path' relative in "submodule
> > foreach", although it's hard to spot because we have to leave doing so
> > until right before the "eval".
> Yes. If I read the code correctly the submodule is cd'ed in before
> the foreach command is executed, so $sm_path should only be used for
> displaying info about where the command is executed anyway. Looks
> like your code is doing the right thing adjusting $sm_path to be
> relative to the directory the user is in. But a test showing that
> would really be nice ;-)

Agreed.  I've also noticed that the legacy "path" variable hasn't been
adjusted and the printing of the module paths does not make them
relative.  I'll fix them in the next version.

> > I'm not sure what you mean about "submodule add" - the new version
> > treats the "path" argument as relative (providing it is not an absolute
> > path).  The "repository" argument is not changed by running from a
> > subdirectory but I think that's correct since it is documented as being
> > relative to the superproject's origin repository.
> Sorry, I should have been more specific here. I saw that you did some
> changes to make "submodule add" do the right thing with relative paths,
> but the following change to t7406 does not work like I believe it
> should but instead makes the test fail:
> -------------------8<---------------------
> diff --git a/t/t7406-submodule-update.sh b/t/t7406-submodule-update.sh
> index a4ffea0..9766b9e 100755
> --- a/t/t7406-submodule-update.sh
> +++ b/t/t7406-submodule-update.sh
> @@ -559,7 +559,9 @@ test_expect_success 'add different submodules to the same 
> pa
>  test_expect_success 'submodule add places git-dir in superprojects git-dir' '
>         (cd super &&
>          mkdir deeper &&
> -        git submodule add ../submodule deeper/submodule &&
> +        (cd deeper &&
> +         git submodule add ../../submodule submodule
> +        ) &&
>          (cd deeper/submodule &&
>           git log > ../../expected
>          ) &&
> -------------------8<---------------------

Ah, ok.  I think this case is problematic because the repository
argument is either relative to "remote.origin.url" or to the top of the
working tree if there is no "origin" remote.  I wonder if we should just
die when a relative path is given for the repository and we're not at
the top of the working tree.

> > "submodule init" is behaving in the same way as "deinit" - if you say
> > "submodule init ." then it will only initialize submodules below the
> > current directory.  The difference is that "deinit" dies if it is not
> > given any arguments whereas "init" will initialize everything from the
> > top level down.  I'm not sure whether to change this; given the
> > direction "git add -u" is heading in for 2.0 I think the current
> > behaviour is the most consistent with the rest of Git.
> I meant that both commands still print the submodule names from the
> top-level directory, not the one the user is in.

Will fix.
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe git" in
the body of a message to majord...@vger.kernel.org
More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html

Reply via email to