This patch series implements a new command:
and an infrastructure to process trailers that can be reused,
for example in "commit.c".
This command should help with RFC 822 style headers, called
"trailers", that are found at the end of commit messages.
(Note that these headers do not follow and are not intended to
follow many rules that are in RFC 822. For example they do not
follow the line breaking rules, the encoding rules and probably
many other rules.)
For a long time, these trailers have become a de facto standard
way to add helpful information into commit messages.
Until now git commit has only supported the well known
"Signed-off-by: " trailer, that is used by many projects like
the Linux kernel and Git.
It is better to implement features for these trailers first in a
new command rather than in builtin/commit.c, because this way the
prepare-commit-msg and commit-msg hooks can reuse this command.
2) Current state:
Currently the usage string of this command is:
git interpret-trailers [--trim-empty] [(<token>[(=|:)<value>])...]
The following features are implemented:
- the result is printed on stdout
- the [<token>[=<value>]>] arguments are interpreted
- a commit message read from stdin is interpreted
- the "trailer.<token>.key" options in the config are interpreted
- the "trailer.<token>.where" options are interpreted
- the "trailer.<token>.ifExist" options are interpreted
- the "trailer.<token>.ifMissing" options are interpreted
- the "trailer.<token>.command" config works
- $ARG can be used in commands
- there are some tests
- there is some documentation
The following features are planned but not yet implemented:
- add more tests related to commands
- add examples in documentation
- integration with "git commit"
- support GIT_COMMIT_PROTO env variable in commands
3) Changes since version 5, thanks to Junio and Eric:
* the --infile <file> option has been removed
* many small functions are back to just 'static' instead of 'static inline'
* alnum_len() has been adjust to have a "size_t len" parameter and a size_t
return value again
* strcspn() is used in void parse_trailer()
* some test setup commands have been moved in some proper tests
* some commit messages have been improved
* a patch to setup env variables for commands has been removed
* all the memory leaks should have been fixed
Christian Couder (11):
Add data structures and basic functions for commit trailers
trailer: process trailers from stdin and arguments
trailer: read and process config information
trailer: process command line trailer arguments
trailer: parse trailers from stdin
trailer: put all the processing together and print
trailer: add interpret-trailers command
trailer: add tests for "git interpret-trailers"
trailer: execute command from 'trailer.<name>.command'
trailer: add tests for commands in config file
Documentation: add documentation for 'git interpret-trailers'
.gitignore | 1 +
Documentation/git-interpret-trailers.txt | 123 ++++++
Makefile | 2 +
builtin.h | 1 +
builtin/interpret-trailers.c | 33 ++
git.c | 1 +
t/t7513-interpret-trailers.sh | 261 ++++++++++++
trailer.c | 661 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
trailer.h | 6 +
9 files changed, 1089 insertions(+)
create mode 100644 Documentation/git-interpret-trailers.txt
create mode 100644 builtin/interpret-trailers.c
create mode 100755 t/t7513-interpret-trailers.sh
create mode 100644 trailer.c
create mode 100644 trailer.h
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe git" in
the body of a message to majord...@vger.kernel.org
More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html