This patch series implements a new command:
and an infrastructure to process trailers that can be reused,
for example in "commit.c".
This command should help with RFC 822 style headers, called
"trailers", that are found at the end of commit messages.
(Note that these headers do not follow and are not intended to
follow many rules that are in RFC 822. For example they do not
follow the line breaking rules, the encoding rules and probably
many other rules.)
For a long time, these trailers have become a de facto standard
way to add helpful information into commit messages.
Until now git commit has only supported the well known
"Signed-off-by: " trailer, that is used by many projects like
the Linux kernel and Git.
It is better to keep builtin/commit.c uncontaminated by any more
hard-wired logic, like what we have for the signed-off-by line. Any
new things can and should be doable in hooks, and this filter would
help writing these hooks.
And that is why the design goal of the filter is to make it at least
as powerful as the built-in logic we have for signed-off-by lines;
that would allow us to later eject the hard-wired logic for
signed-off-by line from the main codepath, if/when we wanted to.
Alternatively, we could build a library-ish API around this filter
code and replace the hard-wired logic for signed-off-by line with a
call into that API, if/when we wanted to, but that requires (in
addition to the "at least as powerful as the built-in logic") that
the implementation of this stand-alone filter can be cleanly made
into a reusable library, so that is a bit higher bar to cross than
"everything can be doable with hooks" alternative.
2) Current state:
Currently the usage string of this command is:
git interpret-trailers [--trim-empty] [(--trailer <token>[(=|:)<value>])...]
The following features are implemented:
- the result is printed on stdout
- the --trailer arguments are interpreted
- messages read from <file>... or stdin are interpreted
- the "trailer.separators" option in the config is interpreted (new)
- the "trailer.where" option is interpreted (new)
- the "trailer.ifexists" option is interpreted (new)
- the "trailer.ifmissing" option is interpreted (new)
- the "trailer.<token>.key" options are interpreted
- the "trailer.<token>.where" options are interpreted
- the "trailer.<token>.ifexist" options are interpreted
- the "trailer.<token>.ifmissing" options are interpreted
- the "trailer.<token>.command" config works
- $ARG can be used in commands
- messages can contain a patch
- lines in messages starting with a comment char are ignored
- there are 49 tests
- there is some documentation
- there are examples in the documentation
3) Changes since version 12, thanks to Jakub, Michael, Johan and Junio:
* "end" and "start" values for "trailer.<token>.where" have been
* "end" has been made the default value for "where", but this default
value can be changed using the new "trailer.where" config
* "addIfDifferentNeighbor" is now the default value for "ifexists",
but this default can be changed using the new "trailer.ifexists"
* the new "trailer.ifmissing" can be used to change the default value
for "ifmissing" (which is "add")
* by default the only separator is ':', this can be changed by using
the new "trailer.separators" config variable
* only the configured separators (or just ':' by default) are used for
both input parsing and output printing; the only exception is that
'=' is always accepted as separator when parsing
"--trailer '<token><sep><value>'" command line arguments, for
compatibility with other git commands
* 14 tests have been added
Only patches 7/11, 9/11 and 10/11 have not been changed since v12.
Christian Couder (11):
trailer: add data structures and basic functions
trailer: process trailers from input message and arguments
trailer: read and process config information
trailer: process command line trailer arguments
trailer: parse trailers from file or stdin
trailer: put all the processing together and print
trailer: add interpret-trailers command
trailer: add tests for "git interpret-trailers"
trailer: execute command from 'trailer.<name>.command'
trailer: add tests for commands in config file
Documentation: add documentation for 'git interpret-trailers'
.gitignore | 1 +
Documentation/git-interpret-trailers.txt | 308 +++++++++++
Makefile | 2 +
builtin.h | 1 +
builtin/interpret-trailers.c | 44 ++
command-list.txt | 1 +
git.c | 1 +
t/t7513-interpret-trailers.sh | 850 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
trailer.c | 830 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
trailer.h | 6 +
10 files changed, 2044 insertions(+)
create mode 100644 Documentation/git-interpret-trailers.txt
create mode 100644 builtin/interpret-trailers.c
create mode 100755 t/t7513-interpret-trailers.sh
create mode 100644 trailer.c
create mode 100644 trailer.h
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe git" in
the body of a message to majord...@vger.kernel.org
More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html