Microsoft office/ MS Word (all versions) saves its custom dictionary spelling
word lists in a text encoding that Microsoft Windows calls UTF16 or UTF-16, but
which is more specifically described as UTF-16LE or "little endian", as
distinct from UTF-16BE or "big endian".
Geany 1.28 for Windows "(built on or after Jul 10 2016)", running on Windows
10, fails to open this file type (right click menu, or start Geany, and "Open").
I've tried choosing both File Encoding "UTF-16LE" and "UTF-16BE", as well as
"auto detect", and tried "Set file type" to "detect from file" and "none".
In all cases I've tried, Geany fails. With UTF-16LE, the failure manifests in
12:40:12: The file "C:\tmp\CUSTOM.dic" is not valid UTF-16LE.
and in the case of choosing UTF-16BE, the failure manifests as improper
display/loading of the file - instead of a word per line, there is an endless
series of long thin square rectangles on a single line.
So I go back to using Notepad++ or Akelpad... at least for the time being.
I suspect that the problem is Microsoft inserting BOM or "Unicode byte order
mark" character into the file, and even though I manually specify file encoding
and file type, Geany does some sort of auto detection thing, which it should
NOT do when I manually choose the settings - even a bad rendering of a file
(with my "bad" encoding choices") would be better than Geany completely FAILING
to open the file at all!
Geany should have an option to "preserve BOM character" (in fact, should do
this automatically), and should also have an option to "load file with my
chosen encoding and filetype, even if Geany detects something not quite right"!!
Don't treat all users as stupid idiots! It makes your software look like a self
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub: