Hello Carlos (& Bilal),

backing up a Gitorious instance entails the following:

1: Dump the mysql database state to file (which contains metadata about users, projects, repos etc)

2: Make a recursive copy of the directory where repos are stored (as you have already mentioned)

3: Ssh keys of all users are stored in ~/.ssh/authorized_keys for the users that owns/runs the Gitorious instance, so grab that as well (~ e.g HOME is the user that owns your Gitorious file structure/services).

4: The configuration of your local Gitorious instance is of course not in our git repos and rebuilding your own config after disaster strikes can be a huge pain, so backup the files you have touched/created under <GITORIOUS_ROOT>/config.

That should cover most bases; restoring = simply copying/importing the data captured above to its original locations.

I don't have a standard script for this to throw over to you, since the backup/restore procedure differs based on the config/size of each Gitorious instance, but you're right - small internal installations should be able to dump (and restore) the whole backup/state to/from a single tarball.

cheers,
Thomas