Hi folks,

Unfortunately the recent ThinkingSphinx bump in
0e162d083d4f005355b1320b2dad91688cb0c615 pushed us to a version of
ThinkingSphinx that does not work on Ruby 1.8.7.

I looked a bit into what it would take to fix it, and the short
version is that it was over my head :)

ThinkingSphinx has two classes which inherit BaseObject, a Ruby 1.9
feature. https://github.com/pat/thinking-sphinx/issues/453 . I was
unable to use a simple monkey-patch in Gitorious to override this
because, as far as I can tell, Bundler is evaluating the
thinking_sphinx code (and therefore the inheritance chain) before it
evaluates any code in config/initializers. So even if I define a
BaseObject (and make it inherit from ActiveSupport::BaseObject) in
config/initializers/thinking_sphinx.rb, Ruby 1.8.7 still thinks
BaseObject is undefined when I run "bundler exec rake".

I tried to solve this by patching my own copy of the ThinkingSphinx
gem so that it would conditionally inherit from
ActiveSupport::BaseObject or BaseObject depending on RUBY_VERSION.
This got me a little further, but I ran into another issue:

.gems/gems/thinking-sphinx-3.0.4/lib/thinking_sphinx/active_record/column.rb:19:
syntax error, unexpected tIDENTIFIER, expecting tAMPER

At this point, I gave up. So I have the following questions:

- Can we go back to an older thinking_sphinx Gem?

- Can we only use the older thinking_sphinx on older Ruby?

- Since we can't easily load thinking_sphinx based on Ruby
conditionals, would we need to move our dependency list to a
gitorious.gemspec?

- Ken