Dear Colleagues,

To add to this note from Kate on the growing momentum towards African
education and research networking, you may be interested to know that
the U.S. National Science Foundation has funded an international
workshop to be held in Spring 2006 in Nairobi.  The goal of this
workshop is to set a research agenda on the development and use of
information and communication systems in international emergency
response efforts. Current partners include the University of
Washington's Interdisciplinary Program on Humanitarian Relief, Moi
University's Faculty of Information Sciences, the East Africa and Great
Lakes Region Inter-Agency Emergency Preparedness & Response Working
Group (IAG), the USAID, the Georgia Institute of Technology's School of
Industrial and Systems Engineering and the University of Southern
California's Keston Institute for Infrastructure.  The workshop is
funded under NSF's U.S.-East Africa Cooperative Research Program.

Feel free to contact me for more information.

Cheers,

Mark

Mark P. Haselkorn, Professor & Founding Chair
Department of Technical Communication, Box 352195
Director of Research, Interdisciplinary Program on Humanitarian Relief
http://depts.washington.edu/iphr
Research Scientist, Veterans Health Administration
University of Washington
Seattle, WA  98195
(206) 543-2577

On Tues, October 4, 2005, Kate Wild <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The attached note demonstrates a growing momentum towards African
> education and research networking which will be given further impetus at
> the WSIS session in Tunis.

> Building Momentum for African Research and Education Networking
>
> The next two months will see unprecedented global attention focused on
> the prospects of African education, research and outreach communities
> for networking among themselves and linking with global communities.

..snip...