Chinese to dominate Web traffic by 2007?  Unlikely and, even if
true, it doesn't mean we're all going to be learning Chinese.

The printing press has been global for a few hundred years.  Yet go
to China and you'll find lots of books in English.  I'm hard-pressed
to find any Chinese textbooks in my local UK bookstore.

There is an explosion of English language training and English-
medium education in China, recognising the current and future
reality of English as the global language: of business, of politics
and, increasingly, of culture and education.

Global linguistic hegemony isn't about how many people speak a
first language, it's about economic power, it's about military and
political power, it's about cultural power, and it's about first mover
advantage.

We can celebrate the net as a means of supporting diversity and
we can moan about monolinguism, but we can also recognise the
reality - even the benefits - of linking peoples from around the world
through a common technological medium and a common language:
English.

Richard Heeks