The Simputer is indeed a remarkable piece of technology. I soundly
applaud the designers and backers and all the others who have tackled
the array of hurdles (not just technical) involved.

My only caution is to be aware of the history of almost every truly
innovative technology- namely that those in advantaged positions are
inevitably early adopters and reap benefits which can sometimes worsen
the position of the less advantaged. The green revolution is some places
allowed early adopters (wealthier) farmers to adopt hybrid crops and
their essential fertilisers and the consequent windfall yields allowed
them to crush and buy out smaller, uncompetitive farmers.

If these Simputers are placed in the hands of the literate, organised
and articulate within a village structure- usually the ones who can pay
the hire costs - then this may provide a huge commercial and control
opportunity. Imagine being the guy in the village who owns the only
phone booth. He should be compensated for his maintenance, care and
time, but it also creates opportunities for information control,
extortion and deal making, not to mention cementing and expanding small,
local monopolies by cutting out access to certain businesses.

It's a bit like someone addressing a village meeting saying - "I have
this new thing, it's called a gun. Does anyone have the money to hire
it?" The rich guy running the brick factory steps forward and says "I
do".

That's not to say that good things can't happen. But for once I would
like to see an experiment where someone, somewhere just foots the bill
to give technology ONLY to the poorest of the poor instead of the power
structures that run the village or district. Maybe nothing different
would happen. Maybe the technology would be back in the hands of the
powerful the next day. How much rice is a simputer worth?

On the other hand, supervised, supported, guaranteed control by an
INDEPENDENT body - again without cost to the user - might be worth a
try.

Could be interesting.

Perry Morrison