The OS becomes irrelevent for web-based computing. Microsoft's .net is a
web-based OS, providing an array of portals, each offering tailored
content and applications to a unique audience.  I have referenced in my
book descriptions of some of the various webs that will reside on the
Internet, with their differences due either to technical design
(different designs maximize use of different applications) or the unique
form of marketplace (supplier and/or consumer) being served.

One size doesn't, as yet, fit all. It never will. In all probability,
monolithic sole-provider networks instituted at government fiat, a
disruptive and unhealthy gothic reversion to discredited monopolistic
communications policy, are sustainable in only a handful of countries.
In fact, due the unique technical requirements inherent to different ICT
deployments and use (differing applications or user groups), there's no
discernible reason for limiting the number of networks.  Why carry
low-cost basic applications on technical infrastructures more
complicated and having a higher underlying cost?

Technology has achieved inter-operability, with costs falling rapidly.
Government is participating with a small handful of incumbents to (1)
restrict the introduction of latest technology by independent ICT's, (2)
minimize and limit the number of telecoms, (3) restrict use of VoIP and
web computing applications, (4) limit the provisioning of spectrum, (5)
deny market entry by imposing fantastic licensing fees and regulation,
(6) reconstitute an oligopoly under powerful incumbent providers of
extant (legacy) technologies, and (7) impose hidden control over
communications through hierarchic deployment (ie. sophisticated,
futuristic, commercial applications receive priority).

Technology isn't failing us. We are failing to use ICT to its fullest
extent.  Government, under the corrupting and irrealizable promises of
incumbents, chooses to follow its proven methods for building beneficial
industries, but has failed to recognize that communications,
unrestrained by technical (or physical, ie. customs tolls) difficulty,
is no longer an industry. Communications evolves to omnipresence, and
in molding to our needs, as opposed to the reverse, becomes a utility to
all endeavor.

Society is responsible for determining which basic IP applications must
be made universal (ie. low-cost). It is this decision, and these basic
applications, that decide the minimum degree of enfranchisement in
competitive modernity. It is not a decision based on limited
technology, or on technology at all.

I have more than once rightfully accused civil society of failing to
protect our interests. Our digital divide organizations continue to
belabor positions better relevent to advanced penetration.  Funding is
determined by government and the independent agencies beholden to its
patronage, in cooperation with ICT incumbents who constrain its use to
neglible result, to retard and delay low-cost competition from
unrestrained ICT deployment... an increasingly tenuous probability
though strictly enforced through an illogical regulation that defies
both technology and the operation of free markets.

The software, computer and telecom incumbents didn't invent our new IP
technologies... they are restricting the deployment of these for
commercial benefit.  And, they are protected by government and the civil
societal organizations they influence (ie. fund).  The question of
"what" constitutes the digital divide may be better expressed as "who"
constitutes the digital divide.  This is a stark realization of which to
avoid admission, in similarity with the failure to decide necessary IP
applications, many of my colleagues undertake fantastic machinations and
incredulous arguments.

For which social purpose do our enlightened so often attach confusing
definitions and misleading goals, and bombastic rhetoric, to the digital
divide? Who benefits?

Certain basic IP communications applications must be made universally
accessible. Spectrum must be reserved by government for non-profit
organizations. The most basic level of communications must not be under
the control, or even influence, of government or their agents, neither
entities public nor private. Physical presence must be eliminated as a
requisite for "basic" communications.

Alan Levy
Mexico, D.F.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]