Dear GKD Members!

Health care is among priority sectors in developing countries,
especially in Africa. Three of out of eight Millennium Development Goals
are related to health. Many people perish daily from infectious and
other diseases due to poor health care conditions. Information and
Communications Technologies (ICTs) offer a great promise to save human
lives by improving health delivery and access to much needed medical
knowledge. How can ICTs make a difference in improving health in
developing countries?  See our new Highlight on Using Information and
Communication Technologies (ICTs) for Health Care Delivery in Africa at:
http://www.developmentgateway.org/node/133831/sdm/docview?docid=369724

***

As a part of our Meet the Champions series aimed at highlighting
leadership and expertise among ICT for Development community members, we
have interviewed our advisors Holly Ladd and Mary Oakes Smith.

Ms. Ladd, the Executive Director of Satellife, provides an in-depth look
at the challenges and potential of using ICT for health with a special
focus on the use of handheld computers (PDAs) by health-care
practitioners in Africa and the pioneering role of SATELLIFE that was
recognized by the Stockholm Challenge award lately.
+ Read and discuss Ms. Ladd's DG interview here:
http://www.developmentgateway.org/node/133831/sdm/docview?docid=367989

Mary Oakes Smith discusses key challenges, needs and priorities for the
use of ICTs in health delivery in Africa and cites two examples of
successful application of ICTs in Malawi and Tanzania.
+ Read and discuss Ms. Smith's DG interview here:
http://www.developmentgateway.org/node/133831/sdm/docview?docid=371368

Also, in a related interview conducted by the HIV/AIDS topic, Dr.
Malcolm Bryant, Medical Director of Satellife, is focusing on the
expanding use of ICTs in HIV/AIDS program design and implementation.
+ Read Mr. Bryant's DG interview here:
http://www.developmentgateway.org/node/130640/sdm/docview?docid=366014

Please contribute to our constantly growing community knowledge base on
ICT for Health by sharing interesting Internet resources and comments on
the resources which are already in our database. Send them to us by
email or post directly here:
<http://www.developmentgateway.org/node/133831/dg-contribute/?keyword_list=2
74295>

Feel free to send us your own articles on this topic which we will be
happy to publish on this Highlight.

Oleg Petrov,
Editor, ICT for Development
Development Gateway