Dear GKD Members!

We have prepared for you a special coverage on community telecenters, in
particular, on the issues of sustainability and effectiveness.
Individual telecenters have been shown to foster profound developmental
outcomes within the communities they serve. Yet the role of telecenters
in rural development and in the development of marginal urban areas is
not clear. Moreover, there are many kinds of telecenters. Which
telecenters are most successful in providing access to the poor and
reducing rural poverty? Which business models work best? Do different
countries and different kinds of communities require different types of
telecenters and/or different business models? Why do so many Telecenters
fail? What is wrong with the model and how can we improve it to make it
more universally applicable and sustainable? Is there a model which can
be replicated everywhere? What is needed to increase donor funding for
telecenters? Read the materials of this Highlight to find some possible
answers!

Within this special we are featuring an interview and several articles,
stories and research papers by some of the key experts and champions of
telecenters in Asia, Africa and Latin America as well as a number of
useful Internet resources dealing with telecenters and a discussion
forum:

* You can access all the materials of our "Telecenters" highlight at:
http://www.developmentgateway.org/ict/telecenters

* DG Interview with Motoo Kusakabe: Rural Connectivity, Poverty &
Entrepreneurship
http://www.developmentgateway.org/node/133831/sdm/docview?docid=403308

* Telecentres: How Did We Lose the Plot? (article by Earl Mardle)
http://www.developmentgateway.org/node/133831/sdm/docview?docid=440944

See also comments by John Daly:
http://www.developmentgateway.org/node/133831/sdm/docview?docid=445009
and reactions by Earl Mardle:
http://www.developmentgateway.org/node/133831/sdm/docview?docid=446905

* The African Community Telecentres: In Search of Sustainability (paper
by Meddie Mayanja)
http://www.developmentgateway.org/download/165918/In_search_of_sust_telecen
ters_DG.doc

* The Community Telecentre Cookbook For Africa: Recipes For
Self-Sustainability (article by Michael Jensen)
http://www.developmentgateway.org/node/133831/sdm/docview?docid=448971

* Telecentres Sustainability: What Does It Mean? (paper by Klaus Stoll)
http://www.developmentgateway.org/node/133831/sdm/docview?docid=442773

* The Jhai Telecenter Model: Founded on Human Relationships, Supported
by Communication and Assisted by Technology (story by Earl Mardle)
http://www.developmentgateway.org/node/133831/sdm/docview?docid=446462

* The Songhai Telecentres (story by Morenike Ladikpo)
http://www.developmentgateway.org/node/133831/sdm/docview?docid=440960

* Sustainable Telecentres? Two Cases from India (article and paper by
Roger Harris)
http://www.developmentgateway.org/node/133831/sdm/docview?docid=442648

* A Project to Reduce Poverty through Access to ICTs in Rural Areas of
China (paper by Paul Ulrich)
http://www.developmentgateway.org/node/133831/sdm/docview?docid=444987

* Drishtee Telecenters: A Sustainable E-Government and Market
Development Solution (article by Justin Thumler and David Feige)
http://www.developmentgateway.org/node/133831/sdm/docview?docid=442917

* Learn how Digital Partners' Social Enterprise Laboratory is engaging
private sector in development:
http://www.developmentgateway.org/node/133831/sdm/docview?docid=442909

* See also a video clip with Adshah Bakhtar about Drishtee and Digital
Partners (requires RealPlayer):
http://world-gateway.org/ict/video/Akhtar.ram

* Somos@Telecentros: The Story So Far and Lessons Learned (paper by
Klaus Stoll)
http://www.developmentgateway.org/node/133831/sdm/docview?docid=442785

* Share your opinion about how to assure sustainability of Telecenters
in our discussion forum:

Can community telecenters be sustainable? Is there a universally
applicable model of sustainability? What are the key success stories and
lessons learned in terms of impact and sustainability?

http://www.developmentgateway.org/node/133831/bboard/message?message_id=422
339&forum_id=225450&mode=t

On behalf of DG ICT4D community we would like to thank all the above
contributors to this special coverage for their excellent contributions.

Special thanks to John Daly, Earl Mardle and Rafael Hernandez without
whose guidance and support this Highlight would not be possible. And
many thanks to Ramin Aliyev who did all the HTML publishing and design
work.

If you have done some interesting work related to community telecenters,
feel free to contact us and we may be able to feature your articles as
well!

In the coming weeks we will be featuring the following issues: WSIS,
National ICT Strategies, ICT in South Asia, ICT in Eastern Europe &
Central Asia, ICT & Millennium Development Goals, ICT & Poverty
Reduction, ICT & Aid Effectiveness, Open Source et al. If you or your
organization have done some interesting work related to these issues and
you would like others to learn about it, we will be happy to feature
your contributions also! Just send us a short article with some related
links and photos!

To learn more about how to participate in our ICT for Development
community:
http://www.developmentgateway.org/node/133831/sdm/docview?docid=309249

Thank you!

Oleg Petrov,
Editor, ICT for Development
Development Gateway
Tel.: 202 473 8861
Fax: 202 614 1169
1818 H Street NW
Washington DC 20433 USA
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://www.developmentgateway.org/ict
profile or change how often you receive email from the Gateway, go to
http://www.developmentgateway.org/pvt and change the settings under "My
interests" and click on "Update" at the bottom of the page.