Right, Peter!

You've extended my argument yet another step past the ICT solution
(where I had chosen to end my examples at the border of ICT and non-ICT
solutions), and I entirely agree.

You can still go into markets in much of the developing world and find
someone whose business it is to write letters for others. (I like to
harken back to old American Western movies where the farmer strides into
the Western Union Telegraph station, hooks his thumbs under his overall
straps, throws back his shoulders, and drawls, "I want to send me a
message to Warshington...")

Today, villager's messages are being delivered on paper to a Internet
Cafe and then transcribed into email for delivery worldwide by someone
who holds an email account. There may someday be a SERVICE that
enhances this informal relationship to the point where a single "griot"
can manage email accounts for hundreds of clients through a simple
handheld device. It'll take a little tweaking of the current email and
client software, but it's very possible.

Cheers!

-- Cliff

Peter Burgess <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I like a lot of what I am seeing on this discussion dialog .... and the
> commentary by Cliff Missen.
>
> But this got my attention: "If someone needs to get a letter to another,
> they need a word processor and a printer."
>

> Whatever happened to the idea of pen and paper, and typewriter (manual)?

> When it comes to communications in poor rural areas .... the most cost
> effective might well be very old fashioned.

..snip...