On 11/10/03 18:43, Guido Sohne wrote:
> This is very interesting to me but raises some questions related to
> practical use and implementation. It basically seems that 'offline'
> content is being maintained in a somewhat current state by periodically
> syncing with upstream information. You mention satellite broadcasts,
> which imply that the information stream is one way. This makes sense to
> me, because if it was two way, why does one need to mirror content
> locally, except to save bandwidth (still worth doing!)

This brings to mind something that the satellite radio outfit WorldSpace
is doing. The idea is brilliant, in my opinion. You basically buy this
satellite radio (approx. $70-100 depending on model). You also buy a
computer card to interface with the radio. For a fee (that includes the
card free) of approx. $40, you get unmetered limited internet access.
The access is limited in the sense that you are restricted to a few
WorldSpace "approved" websites. This would work great if WorldSpace
expanded the list of approved sites to include those like Yahoo mail and
Hotmail. Unfortunately, they don't. For most people, getting cheap
access to a web-based email system like Yahoo mail is a good start.

Thaths
--
Slacker At Large                            http://openscroll.org/
Key fingerprint = 8A 84 2E 67 10 9A 64 03  24 38 B6 AB 1B 6E 8C E4