On December 3rd, Simon Woodside wrote:

excerpt:

> It's been assumed so far that once an internet connection is available,
> the internet is superior. And yes -- since on the internet, my rural
> users can talk back, hold conversations, email their relatives, use VoIP
> -- all impossible with WorldSpace.
>
> Now you have described a situation which adds a dialup to the regular
> WorldSpace receiver unit. But why would anyone bother with WorldSpace at
> all if they have dialup internet access?
>
> We run the risk of applying a technology (WorldSpace) "just because we
> can" in that situation.

Reply:

Simon, perhaps I was not clear in my submission.

1. Given local availability, my preference is obviously high speed
internet followed by 2-way satellite. And if neither are available at
"financially self-sustainable" cost locally, then some combination of
dialup (depending on speed) and 1-way multicast is a viable alternative.
Let me also clarify, I am an advocate of 1-way multicast to achieve
certain objectives, as described below and am not an advocate of
WorldSpace as the optimal medium to accomplish this.

2. The totally integrated, sustainable, turnkey solution I have been
describing in previous messages can best be described as a "Distributed
ASP" model. While this may appear to be a bit paradoxical, it turns the
traditional model of centrally hosted and managed data with remote user
access upside-down. In this model, the applications, content, user data,
and selected web sites are all hosted locally on a server in the school
or TeleCenter or Post Office or the Bank and remotely managed. All
content stored on this local Axxess Server is encrypted for secure
protection of the licensed Intellectual Property hosted on the server,
thus ensuring that a rich array of digital resources are available that
would otherwise not be distributed in many of the underserved regions of
the world. This local server provides high speed (local area network)
access at 100 MB/second wired or 11 MB/sec wireless ensuring a rich
local user experience.

3. The reason for using 1-way multicast, be it from WorldSpace, Hughes
(HNS), or any other satellite provider with whom Advanced Interactive
has global distribution agreements is that all of that data is updated
nightly. In this way, any incremental changes that may have been made to
the original copy of this data hosted at IP developers site are
broadcast to the local server so it is always current as of the previous
night. No other mode of delivery can ensure such faithful delivery of
the volume of data being transmitted nightly to the large number of
servers located around the globe, in a span of a couple of hours each
night. This is both a low cost and highly reliable solution that has
been built to enable sustainable connected communities and the ability
to easily replicate across large geographies quickly. The locally stored
content can vary and all data access is tracked to the User ID level for
IP protection, as well as, to ensure the optimal, relevant user
experience.

4. Simon, to your point of why have 1-way if you have dialup access? The
answer is that it would be impossible to push any volume of data to this
local server over the low speed dialup service available in many
digitally underserved regions. The Axxess solution I speak of will
operate anywhere on planet earth that you have satellite coverage and
have a reliable energy source, including alternative energy (solar,
wind, biogas, biomass, generator, etc.). This means that even in the
most remote village or community (where there is some level of up dialup
access), this solution can erase the technical barriers that impede
delivering reliable access to rich education, health, and information
resources. It also provides an email account, a web page, a personal
file storage on the server, and requires only a 200 Mhz Pentium PC to
operate as the server is already equipped with WebMail and OpenOffice
software to allow users with immediate productivity tools. And, as the
user is attached to a local server, even though their email message may
be batched out in the next dial out connection, they are not delayed
from maximizing their time on one of the local computers in their
school, Internet Cafe, TeleCenter, or at work.

5. Teacher Professional Development resources and user training on
simple things like how to keyboard and how to have a positive experience
on the Internet are crucial. As many other contributors have discussed,
one of the hurdles to local adoption is the need to make this useful in
the local context. From running movies that are broadcast to this Axxess
Server via whatever terrestrial or satellite link exists, to playing the
daily news (local or international) over loud speakers in the town
square, this Content Server becomes the local library, Data Center, News
Depot, Business Center, email Server, File and Print Server, Web Server
and a range of other services. And, where 2-way wireless or terrestrial
connectivity is available, it also hosts VoIP connections and secure VPN
connections (even over satellite using a technology that allows for much
higher speed transmission than TCP/IP communications).

In summary, Simon, I agree with your submission that given choice and
affordability on an ongoing basis, 1-way multicast is a part of the
solution with a specific purpose. And, in the interim until sustainable
alternatives appear, it is providing a very useful service in delivering
sustainable, connected communities around the world. I hope I have
clarified the confusion I may have created in my earlier message and
encourage feedback from others.

Regards
Robert Miller
EVP Global Inc.
Direct:   (416) 423-9100
Mobile:  (416) 464-7525
Fax:      (416) 696-9734

History teaches us that people and nations behave wisely, once they have
exhausted all other alternatives....   Abba Eban