My small organization has been using a GIS to draw resources to
neighborhoods of Chicago where kids live in poverty and attend poorly
performing schools In the <http://www.tutormentorconnection.org> web
site there are two sections where we place links to web sites that
illustrate how a GIS can be used to support decision making and
planning. Visit the Directory section and the Learning and Management
Support Section to see these links.

In the TRAINING section of this same web site you'll see a link to the
Tutor/Mentor Institute. Follow that and you can read some short Power
Point essays that illustrate our uses of a GIS.

Almost all of our GIS work is being done by volunteers. We've not found
a corporation or foundation to donate money, although our GIS software
has been donated by ESRI. One of the web sites where we display maps
was created by a volunteer we met in this forum two years ago.

I hope this information is useful to you.

Daniel F. Bassill
President
Cabrini Connections
Tutor/Mentor Connection