Vickram, my organisation is in the process of helping the people of the
Upper East Region Ghana, in the conflict prone district of Bawku East to
use radio to break barriers to access to information. The people from a
preliminiary baseline survey overwhelmly choose the path of radio as a
means of accessing and providing information. But looking at the area to
be covered the equipment and skills needed to set up such a station is
discouraging us from going down that path. From your submission it looks as
if we get around the cost element through a modular sort of radiophony
and adding on until we reach the expected coverage area. We have already
started with trying to build the skills in ICT through a local teacher
training college which is going to be linked to the internet through a
VSAT link. We propose to link the community radio to this source which
will not only provide the outlet to the wider world but also bring the
wider world to these communities through the radio. Maybe some exchange
of ideas on this will help us in our project.

Mahmud

"Vickram Crishna" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

..snip...

> Radio has some advantages, as an introduction to pre-ICT.
>
> Micro-radio (my own area of interest) is exceedingly cheap - so much so
> that damaged transmission equipment (it is electronics, after all) can
> be very easily replaced outright (see www.radiophony.com for a circuit
> diagram that can be constructed for less than two dollars in India).
>
> Micro-radio (a few hundred meters in radius) is so very local in nature,
> it almost naturally generates simple methods for changing the
> communication paradigm to many-to-many (from the one-to-many of
> traditional broadcasting).
>
> Micro-radio can be powered by very cheap solar photovoltaics, and
> combined with rechargeable batteries, brings the unit cost of
> electricity to extremely affordable levels, while making it universally
> available (see the BioDesign website).

..snip...