Speaking of low-cost access (to the Web, via email), the www4mail
services have been one of the most appreciated. I considered it my
lifeline when I stayed offline (but kept email) for more than a year,
and would still use it for most of my Web access if it remained
available.

Unfortunately, the www4mail services I know have become flaky and
unreliable, sometimes responding sometimes not.

A pity. We keep talking of low-cost access, yet when one becomes
available that is truly useful and appreciated, few want to maintain it.

I'm starting to suspect that some of these efforts are being tried
mainly for their experimental and publication value. After the effort is
published, or after presentations have been made in several conferences,
the originators lose interest, and those who have grown to rely on the
service are left on their own.

Roberto Verzola
Author, Towards a Political Economy of Information
Philippines

On 30 Apr 2004 at 14:26, Steven Clift wrote:

> I am interested in learning about projects that have extended lower cost
> e-mail access into the remotest areas - particularly cheaper
> non-satellite options.  Articles, tutorials, and links to software,
> etc.. are of interest as well.

..snip...