On Tue, 25 May, Cornelio Hopmann wrote:
> What are the best printing options available
> (Low energy, as in many place we will have to use Photo-voltaic, low
> operation costs)? Any experiences with "recycled" Matrix-printers or
> similar devices?

This depends also on whether running costs are a factor, and who is
paying for the consumables.

A typical (modern) dot-matrix printer uses about 50w whilst printing,
and has a switch-on surge of approx 120w. So your inverter from the
stored solar energy (lead acid battery?) must be capable of delivering
this surge without crashing the computer(s) already being supplied!

However, a typical modern inkjet printer uses approx 35w and has a much
lower switch-on surge (say 70w).

The dot-matrix can have lower running costs because you can continue to
use the ribbon until your eyes can hardly detect the letters on the
pages. Moreover you can easily re-ink the old ribbons, possibly even
using locally-produced vegetable dye inks.

The inkjet will need an ongoing supply of relatively expensive
ink-tanks, and replenishing these with third-party inks can prematurely
damage the nozzles of the head. If you are going to use such inkjets,
I'd recommend using a model (such as Canon) where the head (nozzle
array) is independently replaceable of the ink reservoir by the
end-user.

HP tend to use nozzles integral with the ink reservoir. Epson tend to
use nozzle arrays that are not replaceable by the user.

If instantaneous power is not a problem, consider a laser printer. The
page throughput will be far quicker per minute for which is powered up.
You simply queue the print-output and switch on the printer once or
twice a day.

I'd recommend you consider laser printers by Kyocera. They use ceramic
drums (not coated aluminium) and are regarded as non-replaceable items.
All you add is toner, which makes the running costs far lower than other
manufacturers.

The Kyocera FS-1020D consumes 384w whilst printing (15w in stand-by),
runs at 20 pages/minute and has inbuilt duplexing to save on paper by
using both sides. The ceramic drum is also very hard, and hence tolerant
of rough/re-cycled paper.

We have trialled Kyocera laser printers close to the equator in Central
Africa, and found them very tolerant of wide temperature fluctuations
and red African dust!

However we have no direct experience of running printers from PV energy
sources as their power requirements are far beyond those of the Solo
computers we were using.

HTH

--
Paul
   __/_        Paul Richardson
  | /          ExpLAN Computers Ltd.              +44 (0)1822 613868
  |--                 RISC OS Computer Sales and Software Development
  |/___               PO Box 32, Tavistock, Devon  PL19 8YU  Gt.Britain
  /            [EMAIL PROTECTED]